Monday, May 14, 2007

Moving On Up To The East Side... Of Wisconsin.

Instead of writing a long rambling entry about moving, here are five moving related things of note:

1) UHaul sucks ass. Two weeks ago, I reserved a 6x12 trailer for Saturday and I called again on Friday to confirm the reservation and check on the time. When my dad and I went to pick it up, it was gone and there was no explanation why. So they told us there was one in Cottage Grove but oh wait that place closed at 11am. So, they gave us a 5x8 trailer and a free set of moving blankets for our trouble (oh wooh a set of moving blankets!) Luckily, the lovely and talented Caroline is a UHaul packing genius; she piled and stacked and everything fit!

2) My parents rock. I know I say it all the time but my parents slathered on IcyHot, wrapped themselves in ace bandages and hauled my stuff once again. As my dad reminded me, "we've moved you 14 times over the past seven years" and the fact that they continue to put up with my nomadic tendencies just proves how great they are. And my mom even postponed her mother's day treatment to help haul all of my boxes of books up and down the stairs. Mom and Dad, I promise that next time, I will hire movers.

3) I love my new apartment! It is shocking at how big it is and how nice it is. What's even more shocking is the amount of stuff I don't have. In my past apartments, I've always looked like a packrat--there were piles clothes that were sitting in laundry baskets because there was no where else to put it. I had books spilling out of my book shelves and the two bookshelves were crowding my little room. But now that I have this huge apartment instead of a little room and half of a little living room, I look positively minimalistic!

4) I met two of my new neighbors. Bernice, a nice little old lady, who I don't think will be playing Jimi Hendrix songs on her electric guitar at 2:30 in the morning. And Nate, my next door neighbor who's about my age and walked up the stairs dressed completely in camouflage (hat, shirt, pants and jacket!), carrying a rifle holder. Toto, I don't think we're in Madison anymore.

5) I'm turning into my mother. My mother gets stuck on ideas, especially when it comes to my life and the things I have in my apartment. For the last five years, she has been preaching the gospel of when I get some money saved, I should "invest in a nice bedroom set." After seeing the massive amount of shoes I own (and yet I only wear two pairs of flip flops and my black ballet flats) and the hugeness of my closets (yes, that's plural :)), she's decided I need to buy Tupperware containers for each pair of shoes that I own. Before, I laughed at her and rolled my eyes. However, I've found my own obsession: I want and need an rolling island for my kitchen. Must. Have. It. I don't have drapes for my bedroom or my living room and I have one lamp for the entire apartment which is lacking serious overhead lighting. And yet, the first thing I'm going to buy with my tax return is an island for my kitchen.... because I am no longer living in the land of galley kitchens! I have space! Specifically a cute little corner where it can hang out and look adorable and then perhaps I'll actually cook meals! *catches breath* See, I'm crazed! Who knows, maybe my next purchase will be a nice bedroom set.

So, yes, I made it. Thanks for all of your well-wishes. I promise I'll post pictures when everything gets settled.

4 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait to see pictures and to come visit! I'm going to miss you here in Madison my dear.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Lia said...

Rolling islands are really awesome. Congratulations on getting a nice apartment and getting everything moved in. Wow, it's hitting home for me that we're all really and truly done with library school after reading about how people are moving away.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Leah said...

We have an Ikea rolling island and a Target rolling island. Love both! Thanks for you assistance w/ flower and paint chip selection yesterday. You always have a place to stay in Madison!!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

What exactly is a bedroom set? A bed, and chest of drawers? I am a design junkie, I feel like I should know this!

I'm so excited for you and your impending librarian-ness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home