Monday, March 26, 2007

The Trouble with Procrastination

So, it's been two weeks since the last post (but who's counting, right?) and I'm sorry for disappearing on you guys! But, I have figured out why I tend to just up and leave: I'm a procrastinator. This creates blog posting issues for two reasons: 1) If I don't have a deadline, I won't do anything. Really. If I want to get things done, I have to create imaginary deadlines just so I'll eventually get around to taking care of whatever needs to be done. And I really think that creating deadlines for my blogging would just push me over the edge. 2) Because I'm a procrastinator, I am always on a very tight homework schedule. For instance, I have two reader response journal entries due tomorrow at 6pm. Before writing said assignments, I have to read two books. Currently, neither book has been read... heck, they're not even in my possession! And tonight, I'm going to concert and I have to work tomorrow morning so I'll be reading Ella Enchanted and The Giver tomorrow afternoon... and then writing hastily thrown together reader response journals. Needless to say, it's rather difficult to squeeze a blog entry into my self inflicted stressful life.

You're probably thinking, "But Katie, why don't you just stop? You'd be less stressed out and you'd have more time to post on your blog (and clean your room and exercise and do your laundry and hang out with your friends and do your dishes and make a nice dinner once and a while)." Honestly, I'd love to but I can't. Procrastination works for me... it's like my brain won't work unless it has to (so sad...) And in general, my bad behavior is reinforced with good grades and positive feedback from my teachers. And I only have a month and a half more left of school. I'm slightly concerned that my procrastinating tendencies are going to follow me into my job but I really don't have time to worry about that right now :) We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So, once again... sorry for the lack of posts. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not withholding any fun or entertaining news from you. Life is pretty boring right now. But, come Friday, I'll be leaving for Key Largo!!! Hurray vacation! Hurray last spring break before the real world beckons! Hurray sun and sand and key lime pie and fruity drinks! You can bet I will have something to post about then.

Oh but before I go, here's something I overheard last week at the public library at my practicum:

Mom to 1 year old daughter: "We're going to check out at the front desk. Can you say front desk? Front desk! Anna, say Front desk"
Daughter: "Elmo!"

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

You're going to call the Front Desk "Elmo" from now on, I hope. Because that is too good to pass up.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Key Largo! I hope you have a great trip :)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

LOL- I'm a big procrastinator too... notice how often I update my blog with anything relevant? I hope that you enjoyed Ella Enchanted and The Giver (I love Ella but am in the minority that is not a fan of the Giver- even though I worship the ground Lois Lowry walks upon! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get to meet her in DC this summer).

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I've been avoiding AOL and thus my favorite websites, which means I haven't read your blog in over a month. Which also means there was tons of new stuff. Yay!

Anyway, LOVE the Giver. Hope your write up showed my love of it.

Re: procrastination. I do it too. I have an entire month to write a restaurant listing that takes me one week to write. How do I know this? I've been doing it for over a year. Still get paid on a regular basis.

Aaand, it won't bother your "real job." Then you'll have real deadlines, probably two or three or more at a time, so you just prioritize. Then the procrastination really works for you!

So yay for new things, and I promise to read more.

Mel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home