Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back to Life, Back to Reality

When I decided to join my fellow SLISers (and friends of SLISers) on a trip to Florida, I knew it would be my last hurrah. I understood that after I returned, I'd finish up school while packing to move on the last day of classes then come back for a week, graduate, move permanently to Cedarburg and start preparing for the summer reading program. Even though I knew this, I'm still having immense issues adjusting to life after vacation. As much as I love vacations, it's my understanding that life hits you with a stress bomb when you get off the plane. And really, how are supposed to cope with life when your surroundings looked like this just a few days ago?


Particularly when you you spent those days hang outing with these ridiculously nice and fun people...



Quite difficult, right? After I got back from vacation, I had to find an apartment in Cedarburg. Initially I was excited about this; I thought it would be fun! Ha! No! Not fun at all! Luckily, though, I found a wonderful apartment just slightly out of my price range (just slightly) with two bedrooms, huge closets, an air conditioner, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal, all located a mile away from the library, with a bike path to connect the two. You really can't ask for much more. And when I called the landlady this morning to tell her she'd be receiving my application soon, she said, "Are you the librarian? Oh good, I was hoping you'd call back." Hopefully, I will sign the lease within the next few days and not be homeless for the upcoming year.

So, big relief--the apartment is basically set. However, of course, in my worry filled world, the next worry is a financial one. I'm quickly running out of loan money (damn me spending my money on earrings from Target and episodes of The Office on iTunes!) and I have to put down a security deposit and a month of rent for two places by May! Holy wake up call batman. I'm seriously considering eating ramen for the rest of the school year, giving plasma, finding a sugar daddy, or doing a medical research study. It's quite (okay, extremely) nerve wracking and this entire becoming a grown up thing has given me lots of nice big issues to think about when I'm trying to fall asleep. When those moments arise, I'm trying to remember to channel "Vacation Katie" and calm the fuck down:


*a rare moment of serenity*

5 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I don't know if this would be helpful to you or not, but I saw a flyer for in MRI study posted on the first floor of Memorial. You make make a couple hundred dollars doing those. I'm ineligable for medical reasons, otherwise I'd do it myself.

The only thing about MRIs is that you have to be able to hold pretty still for up to an hour, and going in the MRI machine tends to freak people out if they're at all claustrophobic. (It's never bothered me, though.) And I think the ones they use for these studies are the more open MRI machines anyway.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Your landlord thinks you are all librarian-quiet and stuff! Saying you are a librarian in renting situations gives you lots of renter cred.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

Good luck with the "joys" of entering adulthood. I've been saying for the last two months that I wish I could go back to when life was carefree and easy. Alissa

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good vacation! I love the "serenity Katie" picture - so cute!

Congrats on the apartment! And good luck with the ramen noodles. There's always graduation gifts, at least?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Leah said...

You bitches look cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home