Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Work It Baby, Work It

So it seems that the hundreds of hours I have spent obsessing about jobs (including having visions of me living at home in my parents' basement or working in Mississippi in a swamp somewhere) were kind of a waste of time. Turns out I'm quite employable....

Yes... I have a job. I feel like this situation demands cussing--so let me rephrase. I have a mothafuckin' job!!!! Oh and please do not be afraid, it's not the weird job with the questions re: my happiness. It is the nice, normal job that called me back for a second interview. I know I said I wasn't sure but after lots of obsessing in my head (yup, I'm an obsesser...) and lots of advice from many sage-like sources, I was all in for the job. Would you like the details? Okay, I willl oblige :)

General Location: Small public library in a small town north of Milwaukee

Position: Children's Librarian (i.e. I'm in charge. No really. In charge of the department with an assistant to... well... assist me. This is the terrifying part.)

Pros: It's a job. And the people are nice, really really nice. And the town is cute, really really cute. And they think I'd be good at it (I'm starting to believe.) And I love small towns. And they're building a new library! And I will get to have my say in what happens in the children's department! (The power is intoxicating!) And it's close to Milwaukee... where I have friends!

Cons: Ummmmm. The amount of responsibility involved is terrifying. Really truly terrifying. *MUST. BE. BRAVE* Also, I will be starting at the end of May. The summer reading program starts beginning of June. And then the madness will overtake me.

Now, I must get back to freaking out about the responsibility and basking in the glow of employment.

7 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Alissa said...

hmm... ok... not sure what happened to my comment, but let's try again...

Congratulations on the job!!!!! That's awesome. You're going to be a wonderful children's librarian, you've got all the right qualities. The first year is the hardest, especially your first summer reading program. As overwhelming as it seems, it will all be ok, I promise. So does your library have a teen librarian too, or do you have to do to YA as well? Alissa

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lia said...

Hells yeah, baby! That is so f***ing awesome. Congratulations!!! You're going to be fabulous at this job.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

YOU are the champion, my friend.
And YOU'LL be librarian 'til the end.
You are the champion,
You are the champion,
No time for losers,
Because KATIE is the champion...
Of C-burg!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Congratulations, you dirty bitch! ;)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Woo-Hoo! Welcome to I'm-An-Actual-Librarian-For-Reals Land! You're officially One of Us now. YIPPY!!!!

My first day on the job, the people were all "here's your collection. You can do whatever you want with it." And I was secretly like "I really don't have to ask anyone? I'm in charge of this? REALLY?" Being in charge is FUN. Enjoy it!

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! I always knew you were my favorite librarian. And I love Cedarburg, especially Cedar Creek Winery and the Strawberry Festival. You betcha I'll be there!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you. Now you just have to graduate! And then you will be all in charge and stuff! I'm sure you will do a great job and I'm so happy for you. And now you don't have have to go to any more crazy ass interviews where they ask you if you're happy or not.

Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home