Monday, November 05, 2007

Thanks?

Every Monday I work the late shift (12:30-9pm) and tonight a mom from one of my storytimes came in to request some books. She was sans kids for the night and since there wasn't anyone in the children's room, we were making small talk. She was telling me that she liked the storytimes a lot (yay!), that her daughter Samantha liked them too (woot!), and that I reminded her of herself (okay!) because I was "nice and mushy."

Wah? Mushy? I'm mushy? I guess I do have a sweet, affable quality going for me at work. I say hi to kids, I tell them they're doing a great job on their coloring sheets, I smile a lot and I suppose I seem happy but mushy? Mushy seems like an annoying thing to be. But perhaps I'm wrong...

This is the definition of mushy according to www.thefreedictionary.com
1. Resembling mush in consistency; soft.
2. Informal
a. Excessively sentimental. See Synonyms at sentimental.
b. Given to or displaying mawkish affection or amorousness.

Huh. I know she was just being nice and I'm glad that she likes what I'm doing but I'm stuck on mushy.

*Sidenote: If you google mushy, these are some of the most relevant images:

2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mushy?!? That is too funny. I'm sure she meant it in a very nice way, but it's not the sort of compliment you give to people you don't know. I'm sure she meant sweet and accessible.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Mushy! That is hilarious.

I think librarians need to have a column in some newspaper called "Patrons say the darndest things."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home