Wednesday, October 31, 2007

M is for...

Meh.

Truth be told, I am bored with this alphabet thing. I'm kind of sick of it and I kind of want to be done with it. There I said it. I can't quite tell if I'm bored with my blog in general or only with the alphabet-ness. I'm hoping I'm not bored with my blog. Maybe I am. Huh. Let's see. Well, my main complaint with the letter entries was that I couldn't do any off the cuff blogging. Everything needed to be planned or entries that seemed funny at the time had to be saved (but then of course never seemed funny later... when they were actually the right letter.) And then I repeat stories, like the kid saying that maybe the sheep were nocturnal! Jeez. I'm sick of planning. So, let's go back to off the cuff blogging. We'll try that for a while and then see how it goes.

First off the cuff topic, bad parenting behavior. I've seen a lot of lately. And I'm not a parent nor was I a kid who had lots of brothers and sisters to watch. I'm an only child children's librarian with no understanding of how to raise children. However, I'm also not an idiot and the following things really pushed my buttons: If your toddler aged son is pulling books off the shelves and yelling and screaming unhappily and throwing our stuffed animals and basically destroying our happy little children's section, you should not LAUGH at him. You should stop him. And when you're telling other parents, "oh he's split his top and bottom lip twice in the last week!" with a chuckle that's not a good sign.

Also, you and your 10 year old son should not be sparing ala karate kid in the library--you shouldn't have started it in the first place and you shouldn't laugh when he trips, falls and hits his head on the new book display. You're his dad, not his frienemy.

Next: Slippery slope behaviors.
Yesterday, while I was at work, all of my coworkers were saying that they would all be wearing their orange and black for Halloween. I do not own any orange shirts (nor do I want to own any) so I took a trip to Target and today I am wearing an orange long sleeved shirt with a little black cat on it. I'm wearing it with a black zip up sweater and khakis. In theory it's not horrible. It's actually quite cute. However, a thought hit me when I arrived at work today: I wore a holiday themed outfit to work. Yes, it's just a cute long sleeved t-shirt but next it'll be a themed necklace that I bought at a craft fair. And then all of a sudden I'm wearing holiday vests with matching turtlenecks or even worse!!!! A holiday themed jumper. It is a slippery slope people. Constant vigilance!

3 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Ha ha! Beware the themed clothing monster!

(PS- I finally, finally linked to you on my blog. Slow effer, I am).

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

LOL- I always wear a costume to work for Halloween, it's FUN!!!!!! That doesn't mean you are on your way to holiday sweater vests. Youth Services Librarians can not be sticks in the mud (save that for the reference folk :)

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand being bored with the whole blogging thing. I came really close to quitting - it always just seemed like such an effort. This posting every day thing is actually a lot easier because I feel no pressure to write a real entry. I always enjoy your blog too!! Screw the alphabet, yay off the cuff blogging.

I must say I agree with you about people with their kids. I try not to judge, because I also have no idea what I'm talking about - but that kind of stuff in the library is ridiculous behavior!!

Finally, I think that working in a library, you much embrace the holiday clothing monster. You should make it a contest to see who can dress in the most horrible thing possible. For Christmas, I'm thinking a red and plaid jumper with a appliqued snowman, a ruffled red blouse underneath, and a flashing Santa brooch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home