Friday, September 07, 2007

H is for...

Homesick

Initially, H was going to be for haircuts, hairdressers, home improvement, house guests but obviously I never got around to those. Today, H stands for homesick. I've tried five different ways to explain all of this and none of them are working. So, the whole "flowing paragraphs with transition statements" thing is being scrapped in favor of a modified 5Ws and an H.

What: I'm homesick.

Which home: Madison, the most recent in my long line of homes.

Why: Because I didn't get recognized constantly at the grocery store in Madison. Because I could go out to a bar and get drunk without getting recognized by pretty much anyone. Because if I wanted to get drunk, I wouldn't need to drive half an hour and find a place to sleep to do so. Because I had friends there that I saw on a regular basis. Because I knew where to go in order to be happy. In short, because I was comfortable there.

How did I come to this realization: I was in a bathroom at a bar in Milwaukee. The bar was fantastic in that "is this bar tacky because it's clueless or is it tacky because it's ironic?" kind of way. However, this bar was 40 minutes away from my house and if you needed me to get back there today, I would have no clue how to get there. In short, I have no social life in The Berg because I have no friends there and there's nothing to do there. And I don't have a social life in Milwaukee because it's far away, and to be quite honest, I'm not all that impressed with it. I solemnly believe in that idea that you're either a Madison person or a Milwaukee person. I know I'm a Madison person. I know it's important to make an effort (for my own sanity) to try to be both but when I'm also supposed to be a berg person, the effort just seems exhausting.

So, to sum up, I'm homesick and whiny. I promise "I" will be better.

4 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Aww. I hear you.

Even though I lived in Madison for a time, I have never heard of the "either a Madison person or a Milwaukee person" thing. But it TOTALLY makes sense!

Hope you feel less-sad soon.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're feeling sad but I'm feeling happy because you finally posted again after me checking, for like,18 days! You are cool and I like your voice.
I'm an east coaster, and have been to neither city you write about, but most folks can identify with finding your groove and working it out. Good luck and keep writing.
Now, back to lurking,

Scott

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I miss Madison too. :(

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Madison and I've never even lived there. It's just such a great city. Hope you feel better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home