Monday, September 17, 2007

I is for...

In The Hood

What are your thoughts on the phrase "In The Hood"?

My library's ex is now working in a branch library in Phoenix which is located in a bad part of town. Erika likes to keep all of us updated and I've noticed over the past four or five emails that Erika is OBSESSED with the phrase "In The Hood." She works "in the hood" into almost every sentence. The library "in the hood" is really busy. The kids "in the hood" crave attention. Their library was blasting their air conditioner because it was really warm and there's not a lot of air conditioned buildings "in the hood." We were sent an email with the subject line "water fight in the hood" with pictures of the water fight... in the hood. Another favorite: "I feel like the whitest girl in the hood."

Am I just out of touch (I do live in a diversity-challenged suburb in Wisconsin) or is her obsession with "in the hood" a little weird? Do people use this phrase anymore? And by people, I mean white children's librarians from Wisconsin.

See, I told you "I" would be less whiny :) Thanks for all your nice comments--you guys are the best as usual!

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's like bling, like only white people who want to sound cool use it?

That being said, I totally use it.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

I don't think it's the use of the phrase that is weird or bad or whatever. It's the OVERUSE. Like, it's fine to know that you're working in the 'hood. But do you have to keep mentioning it over and over? What is with saying it every 5 seconds? That's what I think is strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home