Sunday, January 21, 2007

Don't Be Such a Square

About one year ago, I found myself sitting in Leah's apartment, fighting off cat allergies, drinking wine and learning how to knit (again). Granted, I didn't actually start and finish something I would actually use until this past summer (which makes complete sense... overheating in my non-airconditioned apartment and knitting... duh). But, I do believe I've found a hobby for myself, hopefully one that I will stick with and grow with. I also know I need to branch out and learn new techniques, but I have to do it on my own terms. I know there are lots of knitters out there who knit a sweater as their first project or who learned how to cable or knit lace or use dpn needles during their first year of knitting. And that is great for them (I'm jealous) but it's just not me. Personally, I just want to knit something beyond a square. For example, I was thinking back to what I've made since I started knitting and it's a long long list of square-like objects:

4 scarves
3 dishrags
1 iPod sleeping bag

While discussing my future projects with my mom, she basically told me that I need to stop knitting scarves, making the point that if I knit more of my favorite accessories, I'd have to start wearing two or three at a time just to get use out of them. The woman makes a good point. Then, of course, we decided that this point would be best made with a picture:


Now, I am a very big proponent of using cotton dishrags for headwear (and shoulder pads too!) but let's do some simple math. I own about 10 scarves, many of which never see the light of day (I have my favorites), and I own 1 hat. I do believe it's time for a hat. Leah, my helpful knitting guru, has helpfully provided me with a pattern (holy shit a pattern!) which I have studied, over analyzed and freaked out about for the last week. I think I will be able to handle this. There are no dpns or knitting in the round... just straight stockinette with a few decreases and seamin' to finish it all up. On Thursday, I took a trip to Lakeside Fibers and picked up this:

And to continue on with my knitting development, I picked up this as well:


And despite my trepidation, in between mourning the Saints' loss and yelling things at the tv during the Colts game (such as: Peyton, I love you!), this appeared:


It's a start. Well, to be specific, it's approximately 3.5" of K3P3 ribbing. Still, definitely a start.

6 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! Are those circular needles I spy?? What will this glorious creation be?

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for hats! But boo for Peyton Manning. I can't believe you'd choose him over Tom Brady.

Anyway, I propose a knitting knight knext Thursday when there's a knew episode of The Office :)

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you really love that camera. although the dishcloth shoulder pads were a nice touch. does your blog have room for video?

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

I have to say I agree with Leah... though, I'm not sure I want you professing your love for my future husband. *sigh* Hope all is well in library school land. I just got back from Midwinter and my head is still spinning. ~Alissa

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Lia said...

Katie, that's awesome!! You and should start a knitting-beyond-squares support group. I've dabbled with knitting for a few years now and still the only major projects I do turn out to be square ones, despite my best intentions with circular needles and such. Good for you!

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hat looks beautiful so far! And I applaud you for expanding your repertoire! (PS- I have worn my scarf every day since you gave it to me!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home