Friday, February 09, 2007

Weirded Out!

So, Leah mentioned in her blog that Jack's crazy days on 24 were possible. I wouldn't know about the Jack thing (yes, I am a freak... I don't watch 24) but I wholeheartedly agree with her astute observation (cheesewhiz on the bus!? crazy!). So, Leah had a crazy day. I have had a weird week. And thus, I am officially weirded out and waiting for something even more weird to occur.

Last Friday, I mentioned that exciting things were happening in my life. And it's true... I got two job interviews!!! For real professional librarianing positions. I won't go into too much detail but I will say that the first job interview went quite well and if I would be available right now (damn you May graduation!), I think I would have a shot.

But, the weirdness comes in during the second job. I was getting interviewed by the director of the public library and a random woman. This random woman never introduced herself and the director never introduced her and in my sheer interview panic, I didn't even think about it. So, she was asking me questions and the entire time, I was thinking "Who is she? This is weird." But it got worse. They asked the weirdest interview questions in the world. There were certain questions I was expecting in a job interview for a children's librarian. I expected those standard "Give us an example when you showed leadership" questions and I figured that I would have to talk about my experience with children, programming, book selection and other things. And we talked about that for a little bit... but there were four pages of questions and most of them were just downright weird:

1) Are you happy?
2) Why are you happy?
3) How do you know you are happy?
4) How would you describe your best friend?
5) Do you appreciate your life?
6) How do you know you appreciate your life?
7) Why do you appreciate your life?
8) Who is your hero?
9) Use some adjectives to describe someone who is negative.

And then the awkwardly worded questions... they were asking me these vague, yes or no questions... I could have come up with better questions.

Examples:
1) Do you like booktalks? (Not do you have experience booktalking? How would you use booktalking in programming?)
2) Do you like technology? (And no, they didn't want to know if I had any experience with technology... just if I liked it or not.)
3) Would you be willing to work with babies and teens? (What am I going to say, no?)
4) What are your favorite books/CDs/websites/movies? But not for children... they didn't care about that... they just wanted to know about my personal taste.

In short, it was weird. I didn't notice much during the interview but then I left and as I was driving out of the city, it hit me and I thought to myself, "That was weird. That was really weird." And I was officially weirded out.

Then, three days later, weirdness once again rears it ugly head at the GSC social (basically a breading ground for awkwardness, if we're going to be truly honest). The source of this weirdness was Chris, a GSC regular, who is normally quite nice and respectable, in a Southern gentleman kind of way. But then, weirdness hit:

*Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You" is playing in the background. I am grooving out in my chair, as I have a tendency to do when a good song is playing and there is alcohol involved.*
Chris: I can see you dancing to this song *pause pause* at a strip club.
Me: Excuse me?
Chris: Oh yeah, you and the pole. I don't know what you're wearing but I know what I'm wearing.
Me: Oh my god. *awkward pause* I don't think I could ever be a stripper. Especially to an Aretha Franklin song. Especially to this song.
Chris: I think you're the stripping type. A little bit of a shimmy.
Me: No, I am not. Oh my god. Ahh, weird! I can't believe you just said that.
Chris: I could say something more but that would be crossing the line.

WEIRDED OUT! Even now, I am shuddering in horror.

So, it's been a weird week. And I'm hoping that tomorrow will start a new week, free of weird. Because really, all of this weirdness really makes me want to hide under my covers until it's safe.

4 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of weird tales in blogging, but I'm sorry you had to experience such things. So have you heard an official decree from the first interview?

I'm crossing my fingers for you!
Mel

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get the "Are you happy?" job you definitely have to borrow Kelly's nihlistic duckling tote bag for your first day of work!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

"stripping type"? Waaaay outside the boundaries of appropriate social behavior! Perhaps that's why I stopped attending the GSC...

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are both SO INAPPROPRIATE!!! Wha????

I hope your weird streak is over :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home