Saturday, January 06, 2007

Another Saturday Night...

...and I'm spending it watching playoffs and looking for jobs. Partaaaay! However, it is kind of a party because I love football and I'm actually finding jobs... for children's librarians... in the midwest... that pay more than $10 a year!!!! They are out there people! However, a lot of them are in the suburbs of Chicago. Now, I know that Illinois is a perfectly nice state with many positives. But the Wisconsinite in me (a very prominent part of me) is feeling a bit ill... However, they are well paying jobs and, really, who wouldn't love living in Gurnee!? (Is Gurnee considered a suburb?) I could start pronouncing it the way the locals do! And I could take everyone who visited me to the outlet mall and Great America! Fun!

I've also found quite a few kiddie positions in Indiana; however, most of those jobs are ridiculously poor paying. And what I've noticed and find rather interesting is that the jobs that pay about $20,000-$24,000 a year are the ones that list "sense of humor" as a job requirement. I'm having visions of myself wearing a snowman sweater (cause it's all I can afford!), dealing with bratty farm kids (oh the stereotypes I'm busting out right now!) and laughing at my misfortune because it's all I can do.

Okay, back to the job hunt and the playoffs (Dallas or Seattle?! Who will advance?!) I will leave you with this lovely job posting, courtesy of the Mishawaka Penn Harris Public Library:

Requirements: An MLS degree from an ALA-accredited library school or a college degree and at least six hours of graduate level library science courses.

Why didn't anyone tell me I only needed to take two classes in library school to get a job!?! :)

6 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I particularly enjoy the job ads (yes, adS, plural) for part time library DIRECTORS in rural Wisconsin that do not require a degree and pay less than 20K. Sweet. Sign me up.

By the way, something is going on with your comments where only Blogger users can post. I like to keep my Blogger account secret... it reveals my affiliation with last summer's GIS/mapping class :)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Katie Kiekhaefer said...

Sorry for the mix-up, Leah. I changed the settings and now anyone can post.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Chicago suburbs are ... not good. Just say no to Gurnee! I suggest staying a Wisconsinite - or moving to the city!! PARTY!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

One must maintain ones sense of humor while reading job ads (and remember that they don't always REALLY require the qualifications they ask for (ie: my current job required 3 yrs experience, which I of course being right out of grad school did not have).

Plenty of good jobs out east if you decide to relocate, let me know :) Alissa

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God dammit Marty- if you're counseling others to stay in Wisconnie, then you better get yo ass up here soon!

Katie- sorry to use your comments section to browbeat my dear friend Martha :)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Isn't a gurnee (or gurney) something that you ride around on in a hospital?

Good luck with that job search stuff. When I was interviewing a couple of years ago, it was quite a ride. Got that interview outfit picked out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home