Friday, January 12, 2007

Five for Friday

Top 5 Things I Learned at My Many Librarianing Gigs Today (all two of 'em):

1) The librarian stereotype exists for a reason. Cute shoes do not work for librarianing. Sensible is where it's at. I'm sure sensible but cute shoes are out there somewhere but I'm too busy looking for pants.

2) Cleaning out file cabinets is fun! Prizes found today at the astronomy library: one pamphlet from 1989 filed under "harassment, sexual" titled "Are You Afraid of Homosexuals?" with the first line "Many people are--it's called homophobia" and one letter from 1996 filed under "letters (reference questions)" which starts with "I have been incarcerated for two years now and I have had a huge interest in Astronomy." Priceless artifacts, people. Priceless.

3) Limits on how many books can be checked out are put there for a reason. One student came in to check out a book and said "I'm kind of worried that I have too many books checked out." I said, "Most students never reach 250. I'm sure it's fine." How many books did he have checked out? 249.

4) I look like a girl who can reorganize a journal display case. (It's true. I can.)

5) Die cutting music notes and musical instruments is fun for maybe an hour. After that, it's ridiculous.

4 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck yes sensible shoes are where it's at! I'm sporting my blue wool Haflin Ger clogs today. Nice and warm on an icy day.... but they provide freakishly little traction. Nearly fell on my arse at lunch.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

I highly recommend clogs... sensible and cute, but the best part is you can take them off when you are behind the desk and slip them back on when you have to go help a patron :)

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

249 books?!? Wowsers.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

s-t-r-a-n-g-e blog. i linked on to this from "blue soup" while doing some research on thomas pyncheon! i loved the falling down the steps part...being now aware of the unbearable lightness of librarians (sorry milan) i'll have to check back here from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home