Friday, December 28, 2007

Little Unhappy Blog

My poor sad blog. I am horrible at posting. Again, it's not from lack of trying. I have four or five different entries I was going to post but didn't. Every effort at a coherent fails so they get saved and then I forget that they exist. So, here is a random series of thoughts for today to help me get back into the blogging swing of things.

1) It is blizzarding outside and I'm supposed to be driving home tonight. It seems that every time I've tried to drive back to my hometown in the past three months, there has been shitty weather trying to hold me back. Ice storms, fog, blizzards (oh my!) Half of me knows that I could easily stay home tonight and wait it out until morning. But the other irresponsible, stubborn, starved for human contact half of me knows if I drive back tonight, I will see friends, have fun, eat good food, drink drinks, etc. If I stay back at my apartment tonight, I will watch PBS (Rick Steves!) and starve (I have no food in my apartment) and think about all of the fun I could be having if I just acted like a normal Wisconsin person (please see #7) and drove through a few inches of snow.

2) A lot of people wake up dreading the fact that they have to go to work. I wake up dreading the fact that I have to wear dress pants to work. Currently my nice black work pants are full of static cling and are digging into my stomach. Also, the shoes that used to be really comfortable have suddenly become horribly horibly uncomfortable and I'd really like to take them off and wander around in my socks, which probably wouldn't be very professional.

3) Right now, I should be working on my storytime crafts. Our winter/spring storytime hour starts on January 17th and I should have 10 crafts ready to go. I have 8 and I am totally stuck. I've been looking at kids craft sites, library programming sites, weird old craft books I found in the storytime closet and I have found nothing. And instead of just sucking it up and doing it (have I mentioned storytime craft planning is my least favorite part of the job), I'm dwelling on my uncomfortable boots and obsessively checking the weather forecast. And then next week I will be scrambling to throw together two crafts which I will inevitably find lackluster.

5 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

I hope you have a great weekend and stay safe on those roads!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Leizel said...

Good luck driving! And I'm sure you'll come up with some great crafts. You could check out the stuff in this book: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781603760331&itm=2

It tells you how to attach knives and glass to kitestrings to make fighting kites, among other, um, refined crafts :)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Leizel said...

PS; I <3 Rick Steves, but I like Burt Wolf even better.... I think it's the beard.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone in your procrastinating and fear of snow driving. I "worked from home" today because I didn't want to go out in the snow. No databases were designed, no metadata was created or corrected. Drive safe!

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope you made it okay on the roads too. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home