Monday, July 23, 2007

A is for...

I have two books that are always sitting on my bedside table: Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding and Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Let's talk about the later for a second. I would consider this book one of my favorite books because it is just so brilliant. The book is literally an encyclopedia of this woman's life--a woman who describes herself as ordinary (even though she's totally not). She writes about her life, her husband, her kids, her friends, but she also writes about ordinary life and she's pretty much always dead-on. Not in a Seinfeld, gimmicky, hahaahaha-kind of way but in a "wow, you're right, you're totally right" kind of way, like the small pleasure of putting a Q-tip in your ear, the fear of introducing your friends and having them like each other more than they like you, and how easy it is to not do something than it is to do something. In short, it is brilliant--you should all read it. I'm totally not doing it justice.

So, in honor of this lovely book and because my life has become pretty damn ordinary, I'm going to channel my inner Amy Krouse Rosenthal and write a series of alphabetical blogs. It's not really going to be very encyclopedia-esque, more like those "A is for Apple" kids books.

So, to start at the beginning (a very good place to start), A is for 'Arry and Art.

'Arry *said in a jaunty British accent i.e. Harry*
Julia requested an update and since all of you were so darn supportive, it's the least I could do. The Harry Potter Party was on Saturday afternoon and we had 17 participants. My coworker who helped me plan it in less than 8 days said that she was shooting for 20 but that 17 was more than good. And the people who did show up seemed very very pleased and I think everyone had a great time. I wish there would have been a few more people but all in all, I was proud of the party. We planned it at the last minute and all for under $30 but we had cool activities like wands out of pretzel rods, frosting and sprinkles, a sorting hat made out of a paper bag, Weasley is Our King crowns and Harry Potter pipe cleaner glasses.

And the book? I really liked it. I'm sad it's done but I think she did a great job ending it. And that's all I'm going to say.

Art
A is also for art. As of late, art has become pertinent. I'm trying to decorate my apartment--which has become a struggle to say the least. Finding reasonably priced artwork is very often impossible (although I will be attending the Mount Mary Starving Artists Show). It's even more impossible when you don't know what you like or where you would hang it or if it's worth the cost when sometimes you'd just like to hang up a framed picture of "Starry Night" just to get it over with (I'm only slightly kidding).

It's also been coming up in conversation... Over the weekend, while having dinner at my cousin's house, I was asked (by said cousin): "Katie, do you like art?" *Duhn Duhn DUhhhhhhnnn* I hate questions like this. They're so loaded. Really, this question is a prime example of the second sentence question... like they should be saying "I hate art. Katie do you like art?" or "I love art. Katie, do you like art?" I don't think anyone asks those questions if they don't have an opinion already. My cousin would be on the side of "I hate art or more specifically art and art museums and galleries are a waste of time." And I knew this. I answered with a babbled response talking about how I didn't really understand it but that I liked going to museums but that I rarely actually went. That's the truth, technically speaking. I know nothing about art but I really like museums and galleries too but never seem to actually go to them....

...until recently! This Friday, I'm going to Gallery Night with my friend and old roommate Mel (Hi Mel!) and her friends. I'm quite excited about it but I'm also not-so-secretly hoping that no one asks me what I think. Eek.

4 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the 'arry party went well. I finished last night, finally. I was so scared of spoilers, but really liked the ending.

What's up with the "do you like art?" That's like asking "do you like food?" I mean, obviously people are going to like some art/food but not everything. And you're right, it is a totally loaded question.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

I ADORE that book too! Great, great book!

I totally was going to say what Marty just said about the "do you like art" question. That's a weird question!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Oh, and congrats on the party! 17 peeps is totally rockin'!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you know the Rosenthal link gives exerpts from the book? I've been stealing away to the website all day... whenever my boss isn't looking. I think I need to get my own copy of the book. Thanks for reminding me!

Also, there's nothing wrong with framed posters of art. I think that's perfectly acceptable, but what do I know? I'm still attached to my laminated art posters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home