Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Items of Note

So, once again, it's been a while but it's not because I'm not thinking of you. I have nine (9!!!) posts saved on my blogger account which I didn't post because they were all boring/whiny/dooce-worthy. So, I've looked at all of the posts and found some reasonably interesting items to post about.

*The last time I saw my next door neighbor, he was wearing hunting camouflage and carrying a riffle holder. I saw him on 4th of July with his girlfriend. He was wearing camo and they were BOTH carrying hunting bows. Obviously they are a match made in heaven... I expect that when I next see them they will be pushing a cannon.

*This is completely random but I had a Giada De Laurentiis moment today. I was sitting at my desk, cutting out paper ice cream scoops for my storytime and eavesdropping on a little boy playing with the train set. He picked up one of the wooden barges and yelled out "Look Mom! It's a gondola!" I snickered but kept it together, continuing to cut out my ice cream. I realized though that I was continuing to smile while cutting. How does this relate to Giada? Well, my least favorite part of Everyday Italian is when she is cutting/chopping/cooking/plating while smiling her big scary smile. It just feels really fake and pretty darn creepy. So, I stopped smiling and put a more stern librarian face on while cutting. Because I'm sure that's not creepy either.

*Speaking of stern librarians, I made a little boy cry on Tuesday. An 8-year-old boy. (I'm used to making wee little babies cry... I have a gift it seems) We didn't have a book he wanted (some spiderman book) and he burst into tears. We are talking inconsolable weeping. Luckily, we have about a thousand Spiderman books so I found other options for him. However, I think this is a very good example of the power of books... or perhaps there is something wrong with him.

*Last night I pulled into my parking lot after coming home from a movie (Waitress, which was quite good but a little too easily wrapped up) and I was getting rid of some "I eat my breakfast on the way to work" trash in my car. I walked over to the apartment complex garbage bin and there was a guy doing the exact same thing. At first (in all my agoraphobic glory) I thought "Oh god, there's someone. Eek, I might have to talk to him. Maybe I should turn around." But, I was already on my way so I kept walking. He threw his stuff in and then held open the dumpster for me. I said thanks and he asked if I lived at our apartment complex and if I knew how the recycling worked. I said I did and explained the whole "paper in one bin, everything else in the other." He said "Thanks" and I said "You're Welcome" and I WALKED AWAY. Didn't try to engage this very nice person in conversation... just walked away and then thought "Oh my god, that was rude and silly of you!" Here's what I've realized: before seeing this guy, I have not had a conversation with someone who didn't have to talk to me since I moved to Cedarburg. I've only talked to people who were patrons, coworkers, baristas/waiters/salespeople/fitness trainers. It's wacky! And depressing! And yet, when a person does try to talk to me, what do I do? I WALK AWAY! (My strange little brain just cued up the chorus of Kelly Clarkson's "Walk Away")

3 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Leah said...

I agree, Giada has a crazy grin. I mostly like her show a lot... but the grin is creepy. And it's a little annoying when she busts out the extreme Italian accent on ingredients such as spaghetti, ricotta, pancetta, etc.

Any chance you'll make it back to Madison for Bastille Day?!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

I was right there with you on the Kelly Clarkson thing.

Pushing a cannon? THAT IS FUNNY.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Leah on the extreme Italian accent for ricotta. Whatevs!! She is a little scary, but I still love her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home