Monday, April 28, 2008

Not Being Homeless is SOOOO Much Less Interesting Than a Fireman.

Warning: This blog post is very long. It's also very obsessive and neurotic.

First, let's get the important but slightly less interesting news out of the way: I am no longer a rolling stone! I have found a place to live. I signed a lease on Friday and I will be moving May 31st. The place is north of my current state of residence, far enough away that I can go to the grocery store (and go to bars?) in peace but still close enough that the commute won't be a huge issue. It's a complex that was built in 1991 and it was the first place where I would only be losing a bedroom (not a dishwasher, garbage disposal, full sized stove and refrigerator and extra storage). I'm really pleased and I'm totally ready to move (and give you more details :))

Now onto the main reason for the post: On Tuesday evening, right in the middle of my family storytime, our fire alarm went off, and in short, I met a firefighter. A tall, remarkably attractive, great with kids, seemingly responsible and kind firefighter. This is going to sound lame but our 10 minute interaction (thank god for little kids who want to meet firefighters!) was pretty much the romantic highlight of the time I've spent living in this ridiculous little town. And how much can two people flirt when there are little kids running around?

Then Tuesday night and then all day Wednesday and Thursday, I witnessed what happens when ten middled aged library workers come together to matchmake. Through the obsessive nature of my coworkers and their information finding skills, I now know his name, where he lives, what everyone who knows him thinks of him (great! nice! a catch!), what his senior picture looks like (thank god we keep all those high school yearbooks at the library!*rolls eyes*) and his age. The adorable firefighter is 21. 21! Barely! (His birthday was two weeks ago). I'm 25. More specifically, I'm 25 1/2. Everyone that I've talked to (and yes, I've talked to quite a few because well I'm lame) reassures me that this isn't a big deal. My coworkers tell me that I've got to take advantage of this opportunity. They've suggested that I call up the fire chief (who just happens to be Kelly, the circ assistant's mother-in-law's neighbor! small town!) and tell him how great he was with the kids and ask if he can come back. Or I could show up at the bimonthly flea market where all the firefighters have to work and stalk him that way. Supposedly he also plays softball and they have a game every Friday night! Jill, another circulation assistant, knows his mother and would be happy to introduce me. Our reference librarian suggested we call him up and tell him his card is expired so he'll come in and rectify the situation. Etc. Etc. Etc. It's out of control.

Here's the thing: I understand that underneath my coworkers' insanity, they're basically right. It's rare to meet someone with such good qualities and I certainly haven't done that since moving here. And yes, four years isn't a big deal. And I appreciate the fact that they want me to be happy here (not that having a cute firefighter equals happiness but well, it might.) So, let's say I forget about the fact that he's only 21 (he's been drinking legally for two weeks. I've been drinking legally for 4.5 years!). What now? How do you pursue or set up opportunities in this type of situation? This is going to make me sound like an alcoholic but I've only met/interacted/pursued men when alcohol was present. It may have been a party hosted by a mutual friend, a grad student social held at a bar, or tailgating at a sporting even but there was alcohol. And if I met the person when there wasn't alcohol involved, our future interactions had alcohol. With the fireman, I've only known him in a professional context and vice versa. And I don't go out in bars where I live right now (nor would I want to) so it's not like I'm going to run into him on a Friday night at one of the four bars in this town. I'd like to just do nothing and wait. Perhaps he'll come into the library? Perhaps I'll see him in the grocery store? Or should I try to make a move in a different way? I know he's on facebook (my coworkers aren't the only information professionals :)) and I'm sure I could email the fire department and say thanks for giving the kids junior firefighter badges. I'm not sure I want to look like a stalker or a 25 year old predator going after the younger man, especially one who grew up in this town and seems to be well liked by everyone.

If you made it to the end of this insanity, thanks for sticking it out! Also? Help!

7 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Leizel said...

Cradle robber he he he!

No, seriously, though, how awesome! Golden opportunity--ask him to come in and share some fire safety with the tykes. You'll have to meet with him to prep, and it'll show you value what he does, and with any luck, he'll stay and help clean up :)

Good luck, and congrats on the new digs!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I'd say just do nothing and wait...if you want nothing to happen. If you want something to happen, you have to do SOMETHING.

I'd be a little concerned about the age gap too, but I'd say this guy is at the very bottom end of the "acceptable" age range for a 25 year old. So I wouldn't see the age in and of itself as a dealbreaker.

Either go to the fleamarker or friend him on Facebook.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Alissa said...

I'm the last person that you want advice from on this... trust me. So I'm just going to say that firefighters are yummy- go for it (I'm going to leave the how up to you- trust me, it's better this way). Don't worry about the age gap, it's not all that bad. Besides, my high school English teacher always said that girls should marry guys five years younger than them since they tend to live five years longer on average.... Just a though- albeit slightly twisted ;)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else that doing something is the preferable option here. He sounds dreamy.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

OMG your life is totally just like Sex and the City! Seriously, what would Samantha do? I don't think you should visit the fire station in a leopard print dress (and take it off), but you should do something! Either get introduced or invite him for a fire safety presentation at the children's room. Stop, drop, and roll!

Also, congratulations on the apartment!

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm a little late weighing in here, but my two cents is this. If you do something, you will probably either have a) a fun date, b) a new friend or c) a hilarious story. If you do nothing, you'll wonder if you should have done something. Worry about the 21 thing AFTER a) happens. For right now just think about using him for his firefighter-ness. :)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Yes, I agree. Stop, drop, and roll. Then repeat!

I think the easiest and most painless way would be to send a note thanking him for his patience and time with the kids during the alarm, and suggest that it might be a great program if he would want to come talk to them. Then the ball is in his court.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home